Does it make your dog nervous when you get ready to go out? Does your little friend try its best to destroy your shoes? If yes, then maybe your little canine friend has developed separation anxiety. The dog separation anxiety symptoms are common among young canine creatures or puppies, they wait for the outgoing owners to come back home. If you have a dog at home with separation anxiety, be prepared to step into a home full of mess. So, it is urgent to do something about dog separation anxiety.
The separation anxiety in dogs is somewhat related to canine stress. This problem is seen in those dogs who are hyper-attached to their owners and often left alone at home. Due to the dog separation anxiety, your doggy can be pretty mischievous and vengeful to their family members. These frustrated dogs can leave everything at your home at sixes and sevens. But, when they hear you open the lock of the door, they will come close to the door to welcome you, wagging their tail, as if they have been very good puppies all through the day.
- 6 Dog Separation Anxiety Signs
- 5 Reasons for Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- 6 Tips to Treat Dogs with Separation Anxiety
- How to Prevent Dog Separation Anxiety Symptoms?
6 Dog Separation Anxiety Signs
- The separation anxiety in dogs should be observed on a regular basis; these are not any occasional symptoms:
- As the separation anxiety is caused due to canine stress in most of the cases, dogs with separation anxiety bark and howl excessively.
- Your anxious puppies can show a number of behavioural anomalies such as pacing, trembling, and so on. Your puppy might show these signs while you prepare to go outside without it.
- Separation anxiety in dogs often leads to a few destructive acts. Dogs with this mental issue often dig near the entrance door and the transparent windows. They will also be seen chewing the curtains of your windows.
- Due to separation anxiety, some young dogs urinate or defecate in odd places at your home. Remember that they do not cause these accidents deliberately at all. When you see it, seek the reasons behind it instead of punishing them at first time.
- Dogs with separation anxiety drool and pant a lot. They will form more saliva than usual.
- The separation anxiety induces some escapist mentality in your dog. In maximum cases, they end up hurting themselves while trying to escape from their confinement.
5 Reasons for Separation Anxiety in Dogs
Though no one knows the exact reason behind dogs' separation anxiety, there are some potential reasons that can accelerate it.
- Learn about those causes in the following lines:
- If you leave this pet unattended and alone for a long time, your dog will develop some anxiety symptoms.
- Sometimes when the dogs are shifted from one neighbourhood to another, they can show this type of mental anxiety.
- Change of ownership also gives birth to separation anxiety in dogs. The puppies take a while to get acclimatized to their new family member.
- Separation anxiety can occur to your dog if it loses its favourite family member or if it is separated from that member.
- In many cases, a slight change in family routine causes separation anxiety in dogs.
6 Tips to Treat Dogs with Separation Anxiety
Before you try any of the following tips regarding separation anxiety in dogs, you should consult with a vet about the medical conditions of your dog. But don't worry, none of the tips will be harmful to your little canine friend.
How to Prevent Dog Separation Anxiety Symptoms?
There isn't much that you can do about the separation anxiety of your little dog. Still, you can talk to a pet behaviourist on a regular basis to improve the mental condition of your dog. Also, work on reducing the dependency of your dog on you. You must ingrain patience in your dog to help it get rid of separation anxiety. You can think about accommodating your little pet with some other dogs. This way, your dog will get a friend and play with it keeping itself engaged most of the time.
- Should I ignore my dog who is suffering from separation anxiety?
- Here, you will get only two options. Either you can ignore your dog completely or provide it the attention. I will recommend you to use attention as a reward here.
- Which dog breed has the worst form of separation anxiety?
- German shepherd, Jack Russel terrier, toy poodle, etc., they can't be left alone at home at all. They ask for a friend and constant attention for their proper upbringing.
- Does having two dogs help them with separation anxiety?
- Yes, of course. There can be a little jealousy between these two dogs regarding human attention. But they will play with each other to ease the separation anxiety.